[Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

Dale Sheldon dales at digitalfreaks.org
Wed Nov 4 16:53:02 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, David Artman wrote:

> Not a bad idea... but that could well mean MANY more games up for
> judging--8 on Existing Game History (as far as I can tell) and
> umpty-score on Games In Development. Without a submission process, what
> will winnow down that list (note that the Oscars has a selection
> committee, as does the People's Choice Awards, which is more like the
> IGDC in terms of judges)?

Oscar's doesn't use a comittee (at least not for "best picture", other
awards are different).  Rather, any member of the academy is allowed to
submit up to 10(?) for consideration, and the 10 (starting this year; used
to just be 5) most-submitted entries become the nominees for the election.

So we could do something like that; we'd have a "nominations" period, a
break for everyone to try out any nominees they haven't already tried, and
then a vote to decide the winners.

> That also kills design-restricted competitions, not that [...]

I agree with everything else you say.  I didn't promise it was a flawless
plan. :)

> Huh... The neat thing about Best Of is that it doesn't really take much
> coordination at all: make a Gmail account for it, announce it, and tell
> folks to email their Top Three (or whatever) and accumulate them for,
> oh, a couple of months (start soon!). Then run Condorcet over it and,
> voila!, results without the fuss.

Condorcet is so last year; we're on score voting now!

--
Dale Sheldon
dales at digitalfreaks.org